Friday, March 21, 2008

a moonlit night


I toss and turn in bed... The night bears down on me. My eyes fly open and I look at the moon smiling down at me. It's beauty beyond mortal description.The campus is otherwise quite. The usual barking of the dogs at night are absent tonight. It is well past 3:30 am and I lie awake on my bed, the moon light streaming into my room, splashing its white light all over the bed and my body. The tune of an old hindi song suddenly waft into the air from somewhere and I am reminded of another night, when someone whispered the lines of an old song, "where did the full moon rise, on the sky, or the kallai beach? Where did the flower of seventeen bloom, in the courtyard or on the sweet cheeks?"


The song is not in my mother tongue, but it holds a special meaning in my heart.


We have drifted apart from those intimate days when we used to pass nights savouring the presence of each other next to one another. The moon was the witness to those days of simple bliss.

Where are we now? Just where we were but no more enjoying each others' company in the midst of the silence. The silence that now pervades is awkward, something which we both try to aoid, and in the process end up avoiding each other.

I dream on of those days when words used to be spoken through our eyes, while we passed each other. We took the simple pleasure in breaking into a conversation without intent, and yet thoroughly enjoying it. Hours passed with us "speaking" to each other. Not an hour of the day passed without either of us whispering something to another.

The moon still smiles down on us. But we don't to each other. Our eyes meet. We both try to search something in them. But do the eyes find what they were searching for? The moon refuses to answer. I don't ask anymore. Even the moon does not say anything to me now. Just like we stopped saying anyhting to each other without explaining...

I asked but never got an answer. I stopped asking. It hurt me too much to witness the long silences and the refusals for explanation...

Tonight as I lie with the moon caressing my body I look at it intently truly seeking an answer...

The moon too takes its time to make up its mind... But tonight I have the ptience of the world... I can wait...

No comments: